16 November 2012

Italian primary school experiences :: {six}

"Wow. Just wow." I use this slightly sarcastic expression from time to time.

I came across this Italian spelling of the word "wow" while helping Young One with her homework recently: "uau."

So...

Uau.
Solo uau.

It led to me looking up the etymology of the word where I discovered that the first written occurence of it is by a Scottish poet in 1513. 

Since it is one of those lovely onomatopoetic words whose sound marries its meaning, I suppose each language must treat it differently. Well, and the letter "w" doesn't exist in the Italian alphabet; "u" is the closest substitute for the sound. I never really considered that before.

We are all learning. Every. Single. Day.

...
Another "wow," for the record. On the drive home last Friday, when Young One is the most talkative, I asked if she had the geografia notebook in her bag. She did not, but she did tell me that it was all a mistake and that her notebook is for geometria.  
Progress!

...............
Disclaimer: I hate generalizations. This is my limited experience at my daughter's tiny primary school lost in northern Italy. If you have a different experience with this, please share!




1 comment:

  1. I love that you looked up the etymology of the word "wow"...it makes me smile a big happy smile.

    ReplyDelete